Skip to main content

Fireplace Makeover

I love our fireplace, though entirely for the warmth. There was nothing redeeming about it's appearance when we moved it.
We used a very simple pattern for the tile layout but I think it works well with the overall simple style of the house. We used the same slate in the foyer so it all ties together nicely.
I found the mantel and lintels on clearance last summer. Unfortunately the workmanship of the mantle was appalling. Had it not been a clearance item we would have returned it. Luke put in several hours correcting factory flaws/sloppy construction. He also had to make some modifications so the lintels fit properly but the end result turned out better than I could have expected. And just so the transformation seems more dramatic, take one final look at the before picture:
After:
I have to thank my friends, especially Arielle, who convinced me to go with the gunmetal doors instead of black. The color really works with the slate.
So how much did this transformation cost?
$300 - Fireplace doors
$30 - Lath, mortar, durock
$60 - Mantle and lintels (clearance)
$10 - Slate (I bought the sale off craigslist and used the rest in the foyer. Normally this stuff would have been about $6 sq.ft)

Overall we spent about $400 and about fifteen hours. This is one of our less expensive projects, but it makes a huge difference in the room. If you think this is an improvement, just wait until you see the kitchen before and afters...coming soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.