Skip to main content

A Walk Through The Ruins

While working on the kitchen demo we realized that life would be easier and cheaper if we could get the kitchen, laundry and master suite inspected at the same time. Otherwise we have to deal with the expense and inconvenience of three separate electrical inspections. So instead of moving forward on the kitchen we found ourselves tearing the rest of the house apart. Here was the laundry room as of Friday:
We already knew that the wall behind the washer was in bad shape. I painted it with Kilz last year but it was time to do something about this:
The sheetrock was moldy all the way through and collapsed as soon as we touched it.The insulation was also moldy and had to be replaced. We also discovered that the wall to the left was damaged and it too had to be stripped to the studs.
We also began the conversion of the "bonus room" on the end of the house. This was a garage when the house was finished in 1949 but from what we can determine it was converted into a spare room in the 70's. The discolored paint to the left was from the freestanding wood stove we removed upon moving in. The closet to the right contains the water heater, not ideal for our future master suite.
We will be moving the water heater to the utility room and building a new master bath across the space once this kitchen is complete. After four long days of demolition we are finally ready to start rebuilding...stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view. I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract. Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.

_________ & After Pictures

I might be homeless, but that doesn't stop me from remodeling. This week I am giving my parents a reprieve from the mess of remodeling and am working for my grandparents in Missoula. They have spoiled me rotten just because I'm the only granddaughter, so it has been really gratifying to be able to do something for them. My grandparents were having a problem with water from the sink and grease from the oven getting on the walls. Tile solved those problems while dressing up the walls. We found some we liked at Lowe's yesterday and by this afternoon it was installed and grouted. I am kicking myself for not taking any before pictures of what I have been doing the past two days. Here is a picture of the kitchen taken about a year ago. Notice the wall behind my cousin. I really like how this turned out. I might just have to use tile like this in my next house.