Skip to main content

Cabinetry Is Hard, So I Cheated

When we redesigned the floor plan last year we moved the guest room closet wall to make space for a linen closet at the end of the hallway.  But built in cabinets weren't a priority so we made due with cheap plastic shelves.
I was initially planning to build a cabinet completely from scratch but then I found an oak utility cabinet on Craigslist for $85, still new in the box.
 At 36"x84" it was too small to fill the hallway but it was a starting point and I figured I could finish this for about half the cost of the materials I was going to need for a custom build.
We need half of the linen closet to store our vacuum so I built a divider down the center of the cabinet.  This gave me a chance to finally use the shelf peg jig I bought from Rockler for our last house and never needed.
Luke and I moved the frame into place then I added filler pieces to either side.  To make it look like a single unit I built a small face frame, attached it above the main cabinet then added some leftover crown molding from the kitchen cabinets.
It took three coats of primer and two coats of cabinet paint to get the factory-finish look I  wanted.
Luke was out of town while I did most of this project.  He was surprised by how well the finished product turned out.
Now that we have actual space to store the linens I'll have to figure out where I stored all of them.  We don't have a lot of demand for cloth napkins and bed skirts so they've been boxed up since we moved in.
Utility cabinet                       $85
Lumber (for top face frame)  $11
Nickel Register                     $10
Shelf Pegs                              $6
Total                                   $112

I had expected a custom-built cabinet to run $200-$250 for materials so this came in a half the expected cost  Even though I have quite a few hours into this project it would have taken much longer to build from scratch.
(These are our costs only and will not necessarily reflect an accurate cost for anyone else to do it.  We already had the equipment, primer, paint and knobs on hand from other projects).  

Comments

That craigslist cabinet was a score. The finished cabinet looks great.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…