Skip to main content

Cabinetry Is Hard, So I Cheated

When we redesigned the floor plan last year we moved the guest room closet wall to make space for a linen closet at the end of the hallway.  But built in cabinets weren't a priority so we made due with cheap plastic shelves.
I was initially planning to build a cabinet completely from scratch but then I found an oak utility cabinet on Craigslist for $85, still new in the box.
 At 36"x84" it was too small to fill the hallway but it was a starting point and I figured I could finish this for about half the cost of the materials I was going to need for a custom build.
We need half of the linen closet to store our vacuum so I built a divider down the center of the cabinet.  This gave me a chance to finally use the shelf peg jig I bought from Rockler for our last house and never needed.
Luke and I moved the frame into place then I added filler pieces to either side.  To make it look like a single unit I built a small face frame, attached it above the main cabinet then added some leftover crown molding from the kitchen cabinets.
It took three coats of primer and two coats of cabinet paint to get the factory-finish look I  wanted.
Luke was out of town while I did most of this project.  He was surprised by how well the finished product turned out.
Now that we have actual space to store the linens I'll have to figure out where I stored all of them.  We don't have a lot of demand for cloth napkins and bed skirts so they've been boxed up since we moved in.
Utility cabinet                       $85
Lumber (for top face frame)  $11
Nickel Register                     $10
Shelf Pegs                              $6
Total                                   $112

I had expected a custom-built cabinet to run $200-$250 for materials so this came in a half the expected cost  Even though I have quite a few hours into this project it would have taken much longer to build from scratch.
(These are our costs only and will not necessarily reflect an accurate cost for anyone else to do it.  We already had the equipment, primer, paint and knobs on hand from other projects).  

Comments

That craigslist cabinet was a score. The finished cabinet looks great.

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…

Our New House - It Might Just Be Home

I recently announced that we had sold our home in Helena and will be moving to my hometown in July.  We did some house-hunting over Easter weekend and I'm please to report success.  We are in the process of buying our latest home: I know you can't see it well behind the trees.  I'm so excited to have actual trees on the property.  The house itself is nestled against the base of a hill which will block our views of the sunset but the east-facing front porch should offer some wonderful sunrises.  And here's a sneak peek of our view.
I won't be posting any more photos until we've actually closed on the house.  Closing is still two months away and a lot could change before then.  Still, I look forward to sharing our latest project.

Sold

We sold our house last week.  This may come as a surprise since the house wasn't even for sale. We weren't planning to move.  Everything in the house was designed with the idea that we would be living here for years.  But sometimes God makes it abundantly clear that He has other plans.  In the course of just a few days Luke was offered a chance to move to his company branch in my hometown and we met a family looking for a house in our neighborhood.  And now our house is under contract.
Closing is scheduled for mid-July so I will have a little time to recover from having the baby, but until she arrives I've been packing up all our non-essentials.  We have already started looking for our next home; maybe it will be a home we get to enjoy for decades.  We'll just have to wait and see.