Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Framing the Kitchen Addition



While sensible people were indoors watching this weekend’s snow and rain through the windows Luke and I were framing the kitchen addition.  This required that we rip the rest of the sheathing off the back of the house.
Luke removed the rim joist
Then it took both of us to sister the floor joists for the cantilever.  Once the new floor framing was place and the subfloor glued on we let the dogs test its weight bearing capacity.  We spent the rest of the day framing the walls, but did not get any of them set before dark.
Sunday was cold and snowy but Luke got to work on framing the walls while I built trusses. 
When we knocked off for the day the house was open to the elements with the roof and wall completely open and uninsulated so Luke and I came home early on Monday to get the roof sheathed and dried in. 
We were able to get most of the addition sheathed, but ran short of materials just as it was getting dark last night.  Still, we are now mostly ready for some snowy or rainy weather.


Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Other Half

It's been a while since I've shown any of the work on the back half of the house.  It was never much to look at and the deck was in rough shape.  All but one of the posts had rotted off.
Things looked even worse when we added the garage and replace the patio door last fall.
The view got much worse last weekend when we removed the siding and the deck.  Luke also stripped the old shingles off the north side in anticipation of our impending kitchen addition.  
As with the other sides of the house we pulled down the buffalo board to replace the insulation and sheathing.  We discovered that the builders did not put vapor barrier behind the bathtub which led to a mold problem in the foam insulation.  This looks worse that it actually is; the mold was just against the outside wall, not all the way through.  But still, it needed to go.

After removing and crushing the insulation we framed the new bedroom window, put in new fiberglass insulation and nailed on the sheathing.  We boarded over the bathroom window, which will eventually be replaced by a sun tunnel.

Sunday night was all about running out of materials.  We were short 6" of Vycor flashing and about thirty feet short of house wrap.  But at least we were able to get the window in the bedroom.

We plan to start on the kitchen addition this coming weekend.  We're both anxious to get the structure framed so we can put a roof on the back of the house.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Gutting the Basement for a Fresh Start

We are finally getting started on the house.  There's a lot of work to be done this year but one of our first major projects will be building an addition on our kitchen.  Because the addition will be cantilevered we need access to the floor joists.  Unfortunately for us the basement is partially finished so we had to tear our the drywall before we could move forward.
This is the "family room" at the bottom of the stairs. We had drywall on the ceiling and the interior wall and stained osb on the exterior walls.  The office is through the door on the left.
 We tore down the drywall and also removed the studs and insulation to get back to bare concrete walls.  We saved most of the studs and insulation to be reused later, but with much better installation techiniques (like actually attaching the bottom plate to the floor and not turning the studs sideways).
 This was our "office" in the basement.  It happens to be under the kitchen so we needed to get everything out of this room to run new plumbing and floor joists.
It looks different without walls, but we think the house would have actually been more valauable this way instead of partially and poorly finished.
Now that the demo is done we can start building the addition.



Monday, April 06, 2015

Garage Interior Finished

It's been three months since I posted anything.  I've been thinking about letting this whole blogging thing die because I've lost interest.  But Luke pointed out I will be in big trouble with my grandma if we are making progress on the house and she's not seeing any pictures.  So in the interest of family peace here's a quick peek at what we've been doing.

The garage is finally finished.  We worked our butts off and spent a ton of money, but at last we have something to show for it. At 24x30 there is plenty of room to work even when our large truck is parked inside.


I splurged and bought Luke a 48" tv with a sound bar and streaming blu-ray player for the garage.  It's part of my not-so-secret plan to get him to watch sports in the garage instead of in the house.
Now that the garage is finished we are actually working on the house.  Luke and I spent the weekend gutting the basement.  If all goes well I might post some new photos this week.