Monday, October 20, 2014

New Siding is Up

We had another weekend of beautiful weather which means another weekend of busting our butts on the house.  We finished installing the siding on the front of the house.  I will be installing stone veneer on the lower portion next year.

We also installed the shake-look siding on the gable ends.  Eventually they will be painted a little darker than the garage to add some visual interest but even now they’re looking pretty good.

And the view from the street is really starting to come together.

We still have a few more projects to finish before winter, but we're getting close.




Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Windows That Work

Part of our weekend project was to replace the windows on the south face of the house.  The living room is on the left and the master bedroom is on the right


The living room windows were replaced a few years ago.  But the windows are poor quality with installation to match.
The master bedroom casement window was cracked on one side and fogged on the side that actually opened.
We decided the house would look better with matching windows on either side of the front porch.  A little symmetry certainly couldn't hurt anything.  Luke had to frame up a new, larger header to span the window opening in the bedroom.
We still have a lot of work to do, but the house just looks right with matching windows.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Fixing Up The Facade

Now that we have siding on the garage we can turn our attention to the disaster that is the front of the house.  A few weeks ago we ripped off the siding on the west end to install the new soffit.  Then we realized that we needed to remove the sheathing and replace the wall insulation before we put in the soffit.  So the house has been sitting like this for a few weeks.
 We removed the remaining siding and tore off the buffalo board sheathing so we could remove the foam insulation.  You can see how the insulation had shifted, leaving a large gap at the top of the wall and smaller gaps on the sides.
 This left the house looking a little interesting.  We had studs and drywall, but nothing to protect the house.  Fortunately the weather was fantastic.

Once everything was wired up we replaced the crumbling foam insulation with fiberglass and installed new sheathing and house wrap.
 By Saturday night the house was wrapped up tight and had windows again.
Sunday was spent installing soffits and fascia, trim and getting ready for the siding.
I actually put up most of the siding on Sunday night, but could not get any photos in the dark.  I'll try to get more photos up once the siding is finished.

Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Starting on the Siding


I haven’t posted since we installed the new roof a few weeks ago.  Over the last few weeks we’ve been installing soffit and fascia on the garage, which is slow work and a little too dull for its own post.  But on Saturday Luke wrapped up the last of the garage fascia and we started prepping for garage siding.  Little projects, like installing siding corners , starter strips and building mounting blocks for our lights took up a large chunk of the weekend, but on Sunday afternoon we were finally able to start putting up a few pieces of siding.
We selected LP SmartLap siding for the exterior.  It's more expensive than Hardie Siding, but it's also easier to work with and has a much better warranty.  We also installed this siding on our Washington house so we already knew we liked the finished look.  (I really miss that house, but not Washington).
For now we are focusing on getting the regular siding installed.  It leaves the garage looking a little odd because it's still missing the stone veneer on the lower portion and shake siding for the gables.  Still, despite the exposed house wrap and bland primer color, it's beginning to look like an actual garage.
 
We plan to install the gable siding later this week.  I'll post photos as soon as we have something worth looking at.