It's been a busy few days in the basement. On Friday Luke insulated, put up vapor barrier and had most of the ceiling hung before I got home from work. With
carpet installation scheduled for Thursday there wasn't anytime to
We've got two coats done already so I just need to put on a light third coat, sand, texture, primer and paint before Thursday morning.
You can see we also put up the cement board for the fireplace. I won't have time to lay the tile before the carpet is installed but we've made so much progress I can't complain.
There's no doubt that our house looks much better than when we bought it.
We've painted, added slate veneer and built a porch
But the house still needs curb appeal. We're doing the best we can to get the lawn going but while we wait to see how much of it survived from last year I need to work on other projects. Right now the biggest eyesore in the front is this area under the front window. In this moving-day photo you can see that this little space was a patch of grass with a scraggly juniper bush.
I managed to remove most of the grass and the juniper bush last summer but for the last year or so this area has been my spot for cleaning out construction buckets and washing my tile saw. It could use a little attention.
Speaking of needing attention, take a look at the porch. When I built it last fall I used Thompsons water seal because I did not want to darken the cedar. Huge mistake. The finish it left on the boards actually collects dirt and makes everything look older.
And the cedar post just isn't right. It needs to be white to balance the colors on the front of the house.
So last weekend my brother helped out by sanding and staining the porch and painting the post. So much better.
I'll save you the hassle of scrolling up for before and after photos. August 2011
June 2013 - Maybe we know what we're doing after all.
The lawn is still pretty patchy. We've seeded again and thanks to the sprinkler system we should be seeing a lot more green in a few weeks.
We still have some work to do in the kitchen but carpet installation is on Thursday so I need get started on the family/media room. So here's the story with the family room:
When we bought the house in 2011 the cellar could only be accessed through a set of exterior stairs. The door on the right hand side of the photo led to those stairs
Because of all the mold and water damage we stripped the basement down to its block walls and concrete floor. Then we added an interior staircase and framed the walls.
The cellar also contained a partial bathroom (toilet and shower only) shown in the left corner
We gutted and rebuilt the bathroom and added a laundry room.
The future media room is in the middle of the basement, sandwiched between the stairs and the laundry and bathroom. We framed the east wall with an alcove between two doors. Luke framed the alcove for a gas fireplace with shelves on either side and space for our tv on top.
This weekend we'll be hanging drywall and knocking out as much of the mud and tape as possible. I need to have the walls done before the carpet is installed. And we all know I wasn't under enough pressure so adding this to the mix will be really helpful.
For six months the only door into our house was the front door. Then in April we finally gutted the kitchen and installed a patio door into the back yard.
This setup worked fine for everyone except for my lab mix. She's just too old and arthritic for the steep stairs. But after several months of snow and rain the weather has finally turned nice and we can get to work on the deck. Luke and my dad built the main part of the deck while I was working on the kitchen.
Because the deck leads down to both the sidewalk and the patio we needed two separate sets of steps. We wanted the deck to seem very connected to the whole yard so we decided to elongate the steps and wrap them around two sides of the deck.
Now that we finally have a break from the rain I can get a better picture of how the backyard living space really flows together.
We still need to stain the patio, trim out the doors and take care of a few small details but the back is just about finished.
Don't expect much from my posts over the next few days. I'm sick which is not only keeping me from working the house but also put a damper on my posting. So here's a quick recap of progress in the last two weeks:
Luke, my dad and brother built a deck. It's awesome. More on that later.
They also built a guard rail for the stairs
We assembled and installed kitchen cabinets.
And I built counters
And I even tiled the backsplash
Then I got really sick and ended up going to urgent care for bronchitis. I'm on the road to recovery, but progress on the kitchen has come to a grinding halt. I'm supposed to rest for a few more days but this weekend I should be able to start on the house again.