Skip to main content

A Million Dollar Makeover for $170

There is no way to hide that we have a plain 50's ranch, but we're doing the best we can to dress it up.  Replacing the windows and front door were a start, and painting the house made a big difference, but we're not there yet.

I wanted it to look a little more custom so Luke and I agreed on a stone veneer under the window. The buffalo board is not structural and the house has a massive beam and bracing to support the front wall.  Since I did not need plywood for shear strength I could attach cement board directly to the house instead of having to deal with lumber, tar paper and lath.
The chimney at our last house was such a hit that we decided to use slate again.  I cut full tiles into 3rd's that will be arranged in a brick pattern.  It's been four years since I bought my big tile saw and it's still one of my favorite tools.
For anyone considering using this veneer, be prepared to put in a lot of hours.  Our chimney took about 200 hours to cover 200 sq.ft.  I had to do less prep work this time and I'm not climbing up and down scaffolding all day so it should go a little faster, but this is a long project.  Each piece has to be "buttered" with mortar on the back, then gently tapped with a rubber mallet into the mortar bed on the house wall.
Even when all the tile is on the wall it still needs work.  Any mortar left on the tiles has to be cleaned off.  I learned my lesson from the last house and did a much better job cleaning up while the mortar was still wet.  Once it has dried you have to scrape it off with a screwdriver or wire wheel.  When the surface is finally clean it's time to seal.  I'm a big fan of Tile Lab Gloss Sealer.  It really brings out the color in the slate and holds up better than other brands I've tried.

You might be wondering how the finished product turned out.  Here's where we started a few weeks ago:
And how it looks now:

During all this work I also put the veneer on the front of the garage.  We've been looking that the tar paper since March:

But now it's finally done
Here's a quick budget breakdown for anyone considering their own slate veneer.

$79 - Slate
$53 - Concrete board (overpaid because I had to buy it in town, would have been $39 at Lowes)
$18 - Mortar (we already had hydrated lime on hand)
$20 - Tile sealer

Total area covered - 65 sq ft

I still have one project left before I can consider myself ready for winter: the porch.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Bedroom Finished

The master bedroom in our house has never been anything special.  In fact, the only reason the front bedroom was called the master is that it is slightly larger than the other bedroom.  Lacking a bathroom or any special features, there was nothing master-ish about it. The room was long, but narrow, less than 10' wide. The closet took up most of the limited wall space so there were few options for dresser placement.  We replaced the casement window with single hung windows which brought a lot more natural light into the room.  Last summer we began our first floor remodel and we finally made some real changes to the floor plan.  After gutting the bedroom I framed in a new walk-in closet for the bedroom and moved the adjoining coat closet to the hallway wall.  The new layout shortened the bedroom by a few feet, but the new closet layout allowed more storage and wall space for the room.  However I neglected to take any more photos until after we finished the room, so let's jump f…

Laundry Room Before & After

Three years ago the laundry room was just a messy corner of the basement. We turned one wall into a large utility closet which made for a smaller laundry room, but left it looking cleaner. Eventually the little room got a new window, lights and insulation. A few weeks later the room was finished.  The floor tile was a clearance find for $.57 per sq ft.  We bought it three years ago and have moved the boxes at least a dozen times over the last three years.
 Last year I debated buying a premade laundry room sink and cabinet from Costco but balked at the $299 price tag.  Instead we bought cherry cabinets from craigslist, a sink and faucet from Restore and I built the countertop out of sheetformica.  Total cost $245.
The pattern on the formica can hide just about anything. That $245 price tag also includes the cabinet on the other side of the room over the freezer.  I had LED undercabinet lighting leftover from the kitchen.  I had to buy an $8 power supply from Amazon but it was worth it …

Family Room Before and After

When we bought the house the basement was classified as unfinished. The previous owners had made a haphazard effort to convert some of it into living space, but the carpentry was so bad that you would have to be drunk to consider it livable. From what we have heard about the previous owners drunk was probably how the work was done. Anyway, this space at the bottom of the stairs was used as two bedrooms; one directly in front of you and the other through the door to the left. We moved the bedrooms to the far corner of the basement so they could share an egress window well and used the two bedrooms as one large media room. The tray ceiling hides the pipes for the radiant floor heat and also distracts the eye from the beam running down the middle of the room. While we needed the tray in in one spot for practical reasons running it all the way around the room created a nice visual effect. The basement stays comfortably warm from the radiant heat for the 1st floor but we also added a ga…